Equity and Diversity Council (EDC)
West Hartford Public Schools continues to see steady changes in our racial, ethnic and socio-economic demographics and embraces the richness that diversity brings.
The Equity and Diversity Council (EDC) currently exists as a faculty and staff advisory that seeks to promote equity, advance diversity, and foster inclusiveness, acceptance, mutual respect and support, civility and non-discrimination across all areas of our district’s programs and services. The work of the EDC is aligned with the WHPS’ mission and vision for Clear Paths. Bright Futures. No Limits.
2020-2021 Restructured EDC Coming Soon.
- WHPS Equity and Anti-Racism Commitment Statement- Flip Version
- WHPS Equity and Anti-Racism Commitment Statement-PDF Version
- WHPS Equity and Anti-Racism Commitment Statement- Spanish Version
The EDC stands in solidarity: Statement of Unity and Anti-Hate Press Release
Cultural Competence Continuum
Understanding of one’s own
cultural identity, bias, prejudices and experiences of both privilege and marginalization
Commitment to the continuous improvement of skills, knowledge and personal growth needed to establish meaningful connection with people from various cultural backgrounds
Lifelong commitment to
action that supports
equity in each school
CT Cultural Competence Standards for Professional Learning:
Professional learning that enhances both educator practice and outcomes for each and every student facilitates educators’ self-examination of their awareness, knowledge, skills, and actions that pertain to culture and how they can develop their culturally-responsive strategies to enrich the educational experiences for all students.
The Culturally Responsive Teaching toolkit is accessible via WHPS- Best Practices in Cultural Pedagogy
or https://www.schoology.com. The code to join is 2FN2V-GT64R. Click on 'Resources' in the left hand column.
- Diversity Advancement in the West Hartford Public Schools
- Welcoming Families through the Lens of Equity
- Curriculum through the Lens of Equity BOE Report and Presentation
- West Hartford Marks Three Kings Day
- WHPS Honored as Cornerstone of Regional ‘Open Choice’ Program
- Building Cultural Competence in the West Hartford Public Schools
- A Focus on Anti-Racism through Social Emotional Learning and Social Justice Education