West Hartford Public Schools is excited to offer a choice of three nationally accredited school-day pre-kindergarten programs for West Hartford residents!
West Hartford Public Schools Pre-K classrooms are featured in videos produced by Edutopia, a trusted source for what works in education sponsored by the George Lucas Educational Foundation. Edutopia videos tell stories of innovation and continuous learning in the classroom show educators how they can adopt or adapt best practices. West Hartford Public Schools is proud of the high quality early childhood education we provide for our youngest students and that now are able to share these best practices with other educators across the country.
The West Hartford Public Schools prekindergarten implements the Creative Curriculum for Preschool. This play-based approach is grounded in research and early childhood theory. Teachers plan for and assess young children's development using the companion assessment tool called Teaching Strategies GOLD.
The pre-kindergarten program currently does not accept applications for children that are kindergarten age eligible. Applications are available online and in elementary school offices between January and March the school year prior. Enrollment is based on a lottery system. Tuition is assessed on a sliding scale based on gross yearly income and family size.
- What is the curriculum?
- What does it mean to be a NAEYC Accredited Program?
- How does the lottery work?
- Where can I apply for the pre-kindergarten program?
- How old does my child have to be to attend a pre-kindergarten program in the West Hartford Public Schools?
- Can I apply to more than one magnet pre-kindergarten program?
- Do I have to be a resident of West Hartford to apply for pre-kindergarten?
- What is the cost and is financial aid available?
- Do I have to register my child before I complete the application for pre-kindergarten?
- Is there a waiting list if my child does not get admitted into the pre-kindergarten program?
- If my child is not accepted into one of the public school pre-kindergarten programs, is there a list of private programs available in West Hartford?
- Whom do I call if I still have questions about pre-kindergarten in West Hartford?
- What are the health requirements and immunization requirements for school entry?
- What if my child is not toilet trained?
- What is the program schedule?
- Will transportation be provided for my child?
- Are there before and after school programs available at school?
- I have questions about Special Education for my pre-kindergarten aged child.