How do I connect my personally owned device to Wi-Fi in school?
whps_wifi is the BYOD network intended for both staff and student personally owned devices, as well as any visitors. In order to access this network, users will be automatically redirected to a welcome webpage where they must either enter their WHPS credentials or register as a guest. In either case, users are presented with our Acceptable Use Guidelines and must click to acknowledge them before proceeding.
If you register with your WHPS credentials your device will be remembered by the system for a period of one school year before you are prompted with the registration page again; staff and students may register up to 5 devices. Your WHPS credentials are your username and password used to login to a district computer. Visitors that register will only have their device remembered by the system for one day. The visitor network is much slower in order to prioritize bandwidth for staff and student use. Be sure to register with your WHPS credentials if you are a WHPS student or staff member. All network activity is monitored and filtered for acceptable content per CIPA regulations.
The procedure below will walk you through the steps:
1. Bring a device with wifi capability into your school building.
2. Your device will detect the wifi network whps_wifi.
3. Connecting to the whps_wifi network requires no password.
4. After successfully connecting to whps_wifi you must launch a fresh web browser session (Safari, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.) and attempt to browse the web. If you are not automatically redirected to our registration page, try navigating to a new website like www.whps.org.
5. You will be automatically redirected to our welcome webpage pictured below. Click to connect.
On the subsequent screen, staff or students should enter their WHPS network login credentials (i.e. the username and password you use to login to the computer). If you are a visitor and do not have a username or password, click "register as visitor/guest".
6. You will be required to read and acknowledge our guidelines for acceptable use. After this step you should be online and able to browse the web. If you reach a webpage that is blocked by the filter you may enter your WHPS credentials on that screen as well. Please remember to adhere to all acceptable use policies and district rules when using our new wireless resource.
7. If you have trouble reaching the welcome webpage, please clear the cache/history of your browser and try again.
8. To learn more about Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) please visit the district's BYOD webpage by clicking here.