April 8, 2015
Good progress was again made in the past week and a half and the following work was accomplished:
- Installation of the temporary sanitary sewer line from Flatbush Avenue to the existing building is complete
- Construction trailers are operational - final electrical connections to be made in the next few weeks
- New scrim was placed on the fence and for the most part held up in the high winds of Saturday
- Trenching for the temporary water lines from Sidney Avenue to the existing school started and is continuing this week. Orange safety fencing was used to create a additional safety zone between the asphalt playground surface, the construction site fence and the trenching work.
- Creation of the "haul" road within the construction site is complete
- Stripping of top soil to prepare for under slab drainage and foundations began and continues
Planned activities for the remainder of this week and next week include:
- Trenching for the two temporary water lines from Sidney Avenue to the existing building continues with final connection to be made during the school spring break next week. There will be water service interruptions during the spring break week and more detailed information will be available later this week on exact days and times.
- Continue to strip topsoil and install under the slab drainage
- Mobilization of the concrete crews to begin the foundation work
- Installation of a utility pole to the east side of the parking lot/bus sidewalk to allow for the temporary power and telephone service lines. Trenching will also be required from the pole to the existing building.
- Rerouting of the fiber (phone and internet) line from Sidney Avenue to the existing school
- Environmental sample testing to develop the demolition plan of the existing building will occur inside and outside the building during the spring break week
We plan on taking full advantage of the spring break vacation week to finalize the relocation of the utilities for the existing building. You can expect service interruptions for water, and fiber (phone and internet) during the spring break week and we will attempt to provide as much notice as possible. Also, crews will be working on Saturday and we are requesting that no staff be in the building on that day.
Also, all construction workers are required to go through a safety and site orientation course before they begin work on the site. They are issued a yellow numbered sticker for their hard hat that identifies them and demonstrates that they have successfully completed the course. If you notice a construction worker doing something inappropriate, please attempt to observe their sticker number so that we may address the issue.