Overview and Purpose
Purpose of the West Hartford Health Advisory Council
Topics for discussion can include:
- Physical activity
- Overweight and obesity
- Tobacco use
- Substance abuse
- Responsible sexual behavior
- Mental health
- Injury and violence
- Environmental quality
- Access to health care
- Physical education, health, substance abuse prevention curricula
- School health services
- School counseling, psychological, and social services
- School nutrition services
- Healthy school environment
- School-site health promotion for staff
- Family and community involvement in school health
The council shall:
- Facilitate communication among schools, school-based parent groups, and community -related supportive groups in order to maximize resources to more effectively impact students' physical and emotional health;
- Oversee Wellness Policy by yearly reviewing the policy and regulations and making recommendations to the Superintendent of Schools, as necessary.
- Provide information/updates on health topics, as necessary;
- Act as a sounding/review board on health-related matters, as necessary.
The council is advisory, therefore will make recommendations to the appropriate group for action.
Actions of the council:
- The information and questions brought forward will be considered in the light of the purpose and parameters of the council.
- The review can result in requesting for additional information (clarifying the concern), asking for reconsideration of aspects of the program by the appropriate group, and/or taking a position supporting or not supporting the program as presented.