Peer Mentor Program
Building Tomorrow by Leading Today
Create a Future
The mission of the program is to allow students the opportunity to reach their potential by offering guidance, encouragement, and support through partnerships with experienced high school students.
Here is how the program works...
Our Mentor Program is school-based and begins in October, running concurrently with the district calendar. Each peer mentor meets with their mentee on school grounds. The sessions are flexible, taking place during the school day (including before and after school program hours), and are approximately one hour in length.
A peer mentor is a high school student who acts as a friend and role model to an elementary or middle school student by offering guidance, encouragement and support.
A mentee is an elementary or middle school student who welcomes the friendship of an older student.
The benefits are endless for you. Here are just a few to consider…
- Develop leadership skills
- Gain first-hand experience working with younger children
- Improve communication skills
- Build more confidence
- Add the mentor experience to your resume
- Make a difference in a young person’s life
Become a Peer Mentor Today
Follow these easy steps and you’re on your way towards making a difference.
- Complete and submit a Peer Mentor Program application, which is located in the Career Center.
- Attend a required two-hour informational workshop to review general program guidelines.
- Meet with the prospective host school’s site coordinator to review your application, discuss potential mentees and determine the best meeting schedule.
- Congratulations! You are ready to begin your peer mentoring journey!
For more information on peer mentoring please contact:
110 Beechwood Road
West Hartford, CT 06107