November 19, 2013
West Hartford Public Schools Board of Education
Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 6:00 p.m.
Town Hall, 50 South Main Street
Legislative Chamber - Room 314
I. Call to Order
A. Roll Call
B. Pledge of Allegiance
C. Revision to Agenda Order
Recommendation: THAT the order of the agenda be changed to put the
following agenda items before Unfinished Business:
* Recognition of outgoing Board Members
* Induction of newly-elected Board Members
* Brief Recess
* New Board Members will take their seats at the Board table
* Election of Officers/Board Organization
II. Student Participation
III. Public Communications: Comments on topics of interest from the public.
Board members do not respond to comments. 3 minutes per individual,
20 minutes per subject matter.
IV. Recognition of Outgoing Board Members
1. Recognition of outgoing Board member Elin Katz
2. Recognition of outgoing Board member Naogan Ma
V. Induction of Newly-Elected Board Members
1. Induction of newly-elected Board members - Tammy Exum, Jillian Gilchrest,
Mark Overmyer-Velazquez, Jay Sarzen, and Mark Zydanowicz
Background: Essie Labrot, Town Clerk, will induct the newly-elected
VI. Brief Recess
1. The new Board members will take their seats at the Board table.
VII. Election of Officers/Board Organization
Background: Pursuant to Sec. 10-218 of the State Statutes, Chapter II, Section 4,
of the Town Charter, and Section 8130 of the West Hartford School Code Policy,
the Board of Education should at this meeting elect a Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary,
and two Financial Examiners. Such persons to hold office for as period of one year.
It is recommended that the election be conducted in accordance with the
The following recommendation is made by the present Chairperson:
Recommendation: THAT Tom Moore act as temporary Chairperson of this
meeting for the purpose of electing a Chairperson for the Board of Education
1. Tom Moore, Assistant Superintendent for Administration, will serve
as temporary Chairperson and will call for nominations and
action for the position of Chairperson.
2. The newly-elected Chairperson will conduct the meeting.
3. The newly-elected Chairperson will call for nominations and action for the
election of the following officers: Vice-Chairperson, Secretary, and (2)
Financial Examiners (one from each political party)
VIII. Unfinished Business
IX. New Business
X. Staff Communications and Reports
A. Superintendent's Report
B. Staff Reports and Board Discussions
1. Multi-Year Enrollment Projections
Background: Mr. Chip Ward will report.
XI. Routine Matters
A. Approval of Minutes
1. Approval of the Minutes from the Regular Board of Education meeting
of November 6, 2013
Recommendation: THAT the Board of Education approve the Minutes of the
Regular Board of Education meeting of November 6, 2013
XII. Information and Reports
A. Board Members: Communications and Reports
1. Reports from Other Boards and Organizations
2. Other Information and Discussions
B. Non-Staff Communications and Reports
1. Reports from Student Board Representatives
XIII. Future Business
A. Announcement of Meeting Dates
1. Tuesday, December 3, 2013, 7:00 p.m., Town Hall, 50 South Main Street,
Legislative Chamber, room 314
2. Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 7:00 p.m., Town Hall, 50 South Main Street,
Legislative Chamber, room 314
B. Request for Future Agenda Items
XIV. Comments from Visitors – 3 minutes per individual, 20 minutes per subject matter.
XV. Executive Session