At the turn of the century, Mrs. Katz was the curriculum specialist at Wolcott School. She left West Hartford in 2001 to accept the principal position at Union School in Farmington, CT. After thirteen years in Farmington, she retired. That’s what she believed at the time. In October of 2016, the opportunity to return to Wolcott School as the Interim Principal was impossible for her to resist. Here’s a bit about her educational background: After leaving her hometown of Schenectady, NY, Mrs. Katz graduated from American University in Washington, D.C. with a degree in education and French, Syracuse University with a Masters in Reading Education, and the University of Connecticut, School of Law. She has taught in elementary schools in Massachusetts, St. Croix, U.S.V.I, and Connecticut. Here are a few details about her family and interests: Her daughter, son, daughter-in-law, and husband of 36 years, are all attorneys. (Strange, but true.) Besides being with her family, Mrs. Katz loves to read, write, travel, dance with her husband, and swim in The Farmington River. She dislikes Hawaiian shirts and beets. Other than that, Mrs. Katz is easy to please.
Dear Wolcott School Students and Families,
I am thrilled to be back in one of my favorite schools. It’s no secret that Wolcott has always held a warm spot in my heart. Here are the top ten things I remember from my years as the Curriculum Specialist here:
- Many of the most talented and hardworking teachers and staff I have ever known
- Town Meeting
- Wolcott School songs
- The Magical Mailbox and the amazing student writing
- The Editorial Board
- Joining the 5th grade students at Camp Jewell for Nature’s Classroom
- The Wolcott Children’s Forest
- The Wolkatz Band (Hmm . . . interesting name for a band!)
- Celebrating and enjoying the magnificent artwork displayed all around the school
- The warm and friendly students and families who always made me feel at home
You may be wondering about me:
- I was a teacher for many years before becoming a principal. I have wonderful memories of teaching in West Hartford.
- Although I grew up in upstate New York, my husband grew up in Hartford, and went to Weaver High School.
- Both of my children are West Hartford Public School graduates! Joshua is married and lives in Boston. He met his wife, Siwei, in China where he was a jazz musician. He learned to play the saxophone thanks to the West Hartford Public Schools. Johanna lives in West Hartford. Both of my children are attorneys.
- I love chocolate. And lobster. And blueberries. And Brussel sprouts. If you think you don’t like Brussel sprouts, you haven’t tried them the way I roast them. Really. You should try them. I’ll send you the recipe.
- I love to write and to read. I struggle most when I finish reading a FANTASTIC book, and I don’t have my next great book ready to go. Fortunately, for my husband, that doesn’t happen very often.
- I love to hike in the woods, bike on the bike trails near my house, and swim in the Farmington River. I know, it can be a cold river, but I’ve managed to swim in that river as early as May and as late as October. It isn’t easy, but it’s worth it.
I am working closely with Dr. Lantner and our school’s remarkable staff to assure a smooth leadership transition. I am committed to the same high standards, goals, and priorities for your children and to the continuous improvement of Wolcott School. I look forward to getting to know you and working together to assure a positive and successful school year for this wonderful community.
Mrs. Lynn Katz