All are welcome to our first ever
Webster Hill Summer Read Aloud this Tuesday, June 27th at 12:30 at the
Faxon Branch Library!
Our story will be -- Dragons Love Tacos 2: The Sequel by Adam Rubin.
We'd love to see you for a story and free lunch!
Welcome to Summer Adventures! It’s important to stay educationally active throughout the summer so I’ll be posting some ideas each week to help.
Summer Adventure Activity One: Pick a “word of the day”. Make it a robust vocabulary word and see how many times you can use it. Pick a new one each day. Talk about synonyms and antonyms for the word, too.
For this week, I ask that you spend some time with your child or children and make a plan for daily reading.
- When will they read (when they first wake up, after lunch, before bed)?
- When will you read to them? Elementary school students are not too old to be read to.
- Where will they read? Identifying a place helps ensure fidelity.
- Don’t focus on how much they read. Don’t set timers. The goal is for students to love what they are reading so help them find books that they want to read. Anything is fine. Fiction, nonfiction, fantasy, biographies, articles, etc.
- Whenever possible, read together. Whether it’s on the beach, by the pool, on the couch, under a tree, or wherever, grab your book and read together.
- Talk about the books they are reading. Talk about the characters, the characters’ decisions, the information they are learning, and more. Don’t quiz or test them. Use this discussion time to enjoy being with your child and make the process of reading a positive one. Help model that reading is fun!
125 Webster Hill Boulevard
West Hartford, CT 06107