Webster Hill Elementary School
Back to School Supply Packs-- Click here
Welcome to Summer Adventures! It’s important to stay educationally active throughout the summer so I’ll be posting some ideas each week to help.
Summer Adventure Activity Seven: Be creative! Create something with markers, crayons, origami, construction paper, blocks, items find in nature, or something even more unique. Take a picture of your creation and send it to Mr. Wallowitz! As you support your child with summer reading, tell him or her about your favorite book when you were that age. Talk positively about reading, model reading and discuss all the benefits. You are instilling a love and a purpose for reading.
Summer Adventure Activity Six: Go on an adventure! Visit a playground you have never been to. Your local library has free passes to museums and art galleries. I know the Wethersfield Library has free passes to the Beardsley Zoo (West Hartford's might, too)! Go to Westmoor Park for a walk. Take a hike up to Heublein Tower and enjoy lunch at the top. Visit Dinosaur State Park in Rocky Hill. So many possibilities! Enjoy!
Summer Adventure Activity Five:
- Take a walk and “notice” as much as you can (even on a rainy day). When you get back, write a poem, story, comic, letter, or journal entry.
- Does your child like hands-on activities? Attend hands-on workshops at Lowe's and/or Home Depot.
- How is your summer reading going? Send Mr. Wallowitz an email and let him know!
Summer Adventure Activity Four: Find math in your daily experiences:
- find patterns all around you
- review basic facts
- count change
- count by 2’s, 5’s and 10’s (choose a random number and count by 2's, 5's, and 10's)
- do a web search for number games and puzzles (KenKen puzzles are great)
125 Webster Hill Boulevard
West Hartford, CT 06107