While your child may be asking for homework because older siblings or friends are doing it, it may not always be developmentally appropriate at this time. Most kindergartners are VERY tired at the end of a full day of school and need opportunities to play and be creative. However if you are looking for ways to nurture your child’s love for learning here are some great ideas!
- practice reading fluently
- master sight word vocabulary
- practice pointing to the words as they read (one to one matching)
- Take a sentence from the book, copy it on paper, and then cut apart the words. Have your child reassemble the sentence.
- Add their own page to the story to share with their classmates
- Finding objects in the house to count or sort
- Play family card games or dominos
- Follow a recipe with your child and discuss different types of measuremento
- Look for shapes or patterns around your house